How are specimens transported to ReproTech?
All specimens are transported in special “dry shipper” tanks that have an inner absorbent material designed to hold liquid nitrogen and maintain the proper temperature during transport.
And ReproTech completes several extra steps to ensure that your specimens are safely transported:
- We ship with United Parcel Service (UPS) Premier Healthcare service that provides priority handling of our shipments, enhanced sensor-based visibility while in transit, live 24/7 location monitoring, proactive delay follow-up, and advanced recovery, if necessary.
- Tanks are shipped in “mushroom-style” shipping containers (we call them “mushrooms” because of their appearance) to limit the time they may spend on their sides and eliminate the time they would spend inverted during transit.
- Proprietary locking mechanisms installed on outer shipping containers and custom printed Secure Tight seals, with serial numbers, on the outside container and custom serial numbered seals on the shipping tank lid.
- Routine specimen pickups are initiated on Mondays by overnight delivery, both outbound and inbound, so shipments complete their round trips to ReproTech by Thursday, avoiding weekends.
- We utilize an FDA Approved Cryoguard thermal indicator in every shipment, which indicates whether temperatures of -150oC or below are maintained during shipments. Other companies that ship similar specimens use temperature data loggers, here’s why we do not
- Tanks are weighed out and back in for every shipment to document nitrogen evaporation rates so that we can continually monitor tank efficacy.
- Tanks are validated annually, and removed from the fleet should they not maintain nitrogen hold time requirements.
- Tanks are maintained with a liquid nitrogen fill while onsite at ReproTech to ensure that they are fully charged and ready for shipment at any time.
- Tanks are used for only 5 years and then disposed of, regardless of hold time.